Insurance Agency

Mt Pleasant Agency Leaderboard Ad

Mt. Pleasant Agency

119 S Franklin, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
(989) 772-2977

Like us on Facebook

Why the Mt Pleasant Agency is the Expert

Mt. Pleasant Agency, Inc., established in 1959, is a full service Independent Insurance Agency offering insurance protection and risk management services to families and businesses in central Michigan for Auto, Home, Business, and Life insurance needs. With the wide variety of insurance products we offer, we can be a one-stop-shop for all of your insurance needs. As an Independent Insurance Agency we offer a high level of customized insurance services and products to meet the needs of our clients. We do not work for an insurance company, we work for you! Our agents have a combined total of nearly 250 years of experience in the insurance industry.


Q:  How many companies do you represent?
A:  Mt. Pleasant Agency, Inc. – Central Insurance represents 12 different insurance companies, many of which are Michigan domiciled companies. Since we have multiple different companies as resources, we can work to find the best options for you when it comes to pricing and coverage.

Q: I just got some new valuable jewelry. Is it automatically covered under my home or renters insurance policy?
A: Jewelry can be a tricky topic. Yes, it is covered, but only to a certain dollar amount and it doesn’t cover the jewelry if it is lost or mysteriously disappears. Examples of that would be losing a necklace on the beach or having the diamond fall out of your ring. If you have a high value piece of jewelry, you should contact your insurance agent and have them “schedule” it on your home policy. You can set the dollar amount for the value, which is usually based off of an appraisal from a jeweler. Once you do that, the jewelry would be covered even if it was lost up to the dollar amount you agreed on with the insurance company.

Q: I hit a deer. Would my collision coverage pay for the repairs to my vehicle?
A:  Deer hits actually fall under comprehensive coverage. As long as the vehicle that hit the deer has comprehensive coverage on it, your insurance would cover the necessary repairs.

Q: I’m going on a vacation and plan to rent a car. Should I get the rental insurance from the rental company?
A:  Our recommendation is that you SHOULD purchase the Collision Damage Waiver/Loss Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW) when you rent a car. There are many reasons why, but here is just one of them: If you totaled the rental car, your auto insurance would only pay “actual cash value” (think Kelly Blue Book value) for the car that you damaged. However, in most lease agreements, you may be obligated to reimburse the rental company for the full value of the vehicle as though it was brand new. If you didn’t purchase the rental insurance from the car rental company, you could be on the hook for the balance.

Q: My teenager just got their learning permit for driving. Do I need to add them to my auto insurance policy?
A:  Until your teenager has a valid driver’s license, you do not have to list them as a driver on your auto insurance policy. Many companies might require that you list household members with the understanding that some people in the home aren’t of driving age yet.

Q: What breeds of dogs are considered high risk for home or renters insurance?
A:  The list of dogs can vary from company to company, but the ones we see listed most frequently are Pit Bulls, Chow Chow, Doberman, German Shepherd, Rottweiler, and Wolf Hybrid breeds. If you have one of these breeds, it doesn’t mean that you can’t get insurance. It does mean that you might have more limited options for your home insurance or be surcharged for having a “hostile breed.”

Q: Do I need flood insurance?
A:  When purchasing a home, your mortgage lender will let you know if you’re required to get flood insurance. If you’re not required to get flood insurance, you may still be able to purchase it. Damage from a flood is not covered by any home insurance policy, so if flooding is something that concerns you, it’s worth at least getting a quote for flood insurance.

Q: What is umbrella insurance?
A: Umbrella insurance is liability insurance that can be purchased on top of home and auto or even business insurance. It protects you and your assets if you’re sued and a judge awards a settlement that exceeds your liability limits on your home or auto insurance policy. Click here to watch a short video explaining umbrella insurance.

Q: What is the difference between whole and term life?
A: Both kinds of life insurance are different and can serve a purpose anytime in life. Click below to watch a video that explains the benefits of each type of policy for you and your family.

Tip of the Month

Prevent Water Damage

Faulty water pipes are the leading cause of interior water damage, according to IBHS. A creak or a groan every now and them isn’t cause for concern. However, loud and consistent banging could mean you have an issue.

Tips for Teenage Drivers

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that each year more than 5,000 teens are killed in passenger vehicle crashes. Here are some tips that are always worth mentioning and repeating to teen drivers! (Tips provided by Foremost Insurance).

  • Buckle up always! The car shouldn’t even start before everyone in it has their seat belt fastened
  • No alcohol or drugs. Explain the consequences of being caught with alcohol or drugs in their vehicle and that they are responsible for what is in the car, even if it is not theirs.
  • No texting or talking on the phone while driving.
  • Curfew: Think about heading home when it starts getting dusk out.
  • Passengers: No more than one at a time.
  • No speeding.
  • Don’t drive while sleepy.
  • Drive defensively.
  • Pay attention.

Fire Prevention
Take some time to make sure your home is safe and in good shape. Reduce fire hazards and improve fire safety by checking your smoke detector batteries and checking your dryer vents for lint buildup. Also check your fire extinguishers and update them if necessary. They do expire and it’s important to keep those up to date! It may also be a good time to have a routine inspection for your furnace and air conditioner just to make sure everything is in good working order.

Motorcycle Safety

Here are some tips that can help keep motorcycle tires performing in top condition (Tips provided by Foremost Insurance).

  • Check for proper tire inflation pressure. For peak performance and fuel economy, it’s important that the tires are not over-inflated or under-inflated. Repeated under-inflation should be inspected because it could signal a slow leakthat could cause a blow out.
  • Don’t overload your bike. Overloading places stress on the tires and can cause poor handling and excessive fuel consumption. Check your owner’s manual to determine limits.
  • Look for wear. Get in the habit of getting professional inspections to be sure the tires are in the best condition possible. Pay attention to tread wear indicators and keep an eye out for foreign objects, and cracks or grooves that would require replacement.
  • Break in new tires. Brand new tires should be ridden very cautiously for the first 100 miles to allow the tires to be “scuffed-in.” This provides the rider with an opportunity to get to know how the new tires handle and react.